At Hartley Primary Academy, we believe that Personal, Social, Health Education (PSHE), enables children to become healthy, independent and responsible members of society. We attempt to provide children with the tools to understand how they are developing personally and socially, whilst allowing them to be able to successfully tackle many of the moral, social and cultural issues that form part of growing up.
We encourage our children to:
- Know and understand what constitutes a healthy lifestyle (in line with the National Healthy Schools guidance)
- Be aware of safety issues in person and online
- Demonstrate behaviours adopted in our school values
- Become more economically aware
- Develop self-confidence and self-esteem, making informed choices regarding personal and social issues
- Develop good relationships with other members of the school and the wider community
- Learn about their rights, responsibilities, duties and freedoms and about laws, justice and democracy
- Play an active role in the life of their schools, neighbourhoods, communities and wider society as active citizens
The PSHE curriculum is delivered to every year group through use of the Jigsaw scheme of work. We use this whole school approach to promote the social and emotional skills that underpin effective learning, positive behaviour and emotional well-being. Jigsaw is a very mindful scheme which places our children’s’ resilience at the core.
Relationships and Sex Education is also covered in all years through the Jigsaw Scheme of work in line with new guidance from the DfE. Please refer to the RSE overview to see how we deliver aspects of puberty and human reproduction in each year group.
Within PYP topics, we make further safety links through visits from our individuals in our locality, for instance the police department and fire department. In year 6, all children also get the opportunity to attend a Safety in Action Course where they are educated in all areas of safety, including: drugs, railway, beach, coach, Stranger Danger and crossing the road. All our children have benefited enormously from this course and carry the knowledge and skills with them throughout their life.